birding-aus

Beacon, WA and surrounds: brief report

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Beacon, WA and surrounds: brief report
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 02:34:42 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

I spent Saturday 24th October driving through the northern wheat belt of
southern Western Australia ending up in Beacon and Karroun Hill Nature Reserve.
Conditions were very windy with several rain showers throughout the day.

Some good birds but none of my target species like Malleefowl, Regent Parrot,
Major Mitchell’s Cockatoos, or Mulga Parrot unfortunately.

Driving through the wheat belt becomes monotonous after a while but there are
some great areas of remnant bushland.

Beacon surrounds produced dozens of Galahs and Little Corellas, Australian
Ringnecks and I saw several Nankeen Kestrels along the way. Australian Wood
Ducks near dams, Masked Woodswallows and a large flock of Cockatiels on
Scotsman’s Road.
Yellow-rumped Thornbill and Common Bronzewing also common in the area.

About 1km from the Emu-proof fence a flock of Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos, an
Emu racing me down the road and a female Red-capped Robin. I briefly saw some
wren’s but no dominant male (just either non-breeding males, females and / or
juveniles) but assume these were possibly Splendid Fairy-wren’s.
Across the Emu-proof fence in Karroun Hill Nature Reserve produced an Emu with
several young and White-fronted Honeyeater and at Mt Churchman and not much
else apart from a Richard’s Pipit. Would love to know the name of the lizards
on the granite outcrop at Mt Churchman.
Not a bad spot for birding.
Cheers,
Charles Hunter