birding-aus

Yorke Peninsula/northern Adelaide trip report

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Yorke Peninsula/northern Adelaide trip report
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 21:34:31 +1100

Have just got back from a week on the Yorke Peninsula with a couple of days at
the end staying in north Adelaide. We were based at Edithburgh on the south
east coast of the peninsula. A family trip I did manage to do a bit of
birdwatching (with a couple of trips to Innes NP about 100km from where we were
staying and a morning around Adelaide to chase a few things). Weather wasn't
great (windy to start off with - though Edithburgh does have a large wind farm
and hot at the end). I used a few reports in the archives (particularly Daniel
Mantle and Graham Etherington)

I was happy with the bird list (detailed below) and got 1 (plastic) tick, 5 of
6 targeted subspecies and 23 species for my annual list - mainly waders.
Highlights included:
Pied and White-fronted Honeyeater in flowering Eremophila west of Morgan
(though no Blacks which was the one I was after for my annual list)
Budgerigar at Salt Swamp Creek (near Coobowie)
Crimson Chat and Rufous Fieldwren at Corny Point Lighthouse
Innes NP - had one morning (arriving about 7:30) and one hot day (arriving
about 1030) within this great park - spent time at Pandalowie Bay, Inneston,
West Cape Lighthouse and a few of the camping areas. Chiefly looking for Mallee
(Western) Whipbird which I didn't hear a peep (may have been too late, too
windy/hot or wrong time of year but will have to return). Other highlights were
Malleefowl (3 seen including one in the backyard of one of the houses in
Inneston and one on an active mound - if you are reading this Graham it was
within 50 metres of the tree that you said in your report and about 20 metres
off the road), Rock Parrot (a number of spots but a good flock at West Cape),
lots of Southern Scrub-robin (heard)and a male Scarlet Robin at Inneston (shown
outside the range in Schodde and Mason).

Slender-billed Thornbill, Elegant Parrot (great views) and waders (including a
single Marsh Sandpiper) at Port Gawler.
The plastic tick was Barbary Dove. Flight views were seen on Roscommon Road
Salisbury Downs and another perced on wires on Thomson? Road while heading back
to the Port Wakefield Road. If you don't feel like wandering around suburban
streets with binoculars looking like some kind of weirdo I also saw 2 birds at
the Greenfields Wetlands (near the Watershed Cafe) which was a great little
area for birds. I suspect I also saw a roadkill one today further north in
Elizabeth so my suspicion is they are pretty common in the northern suburbs of
Adelaide (though how they esteblished with the number of Turtle-doves in the
area).
Of the other subspecies most were common, with Horsfield's Bushlarks abundant
in the wheat paddocks around Edithburgh (and probably some further east through
the Clare region as well). I never definitely picked up a Skylark (some calls
sounded suspiciously different and or two flush off the road that looked more
longer-tailed but they may have been Pipits and when I stopped I couldn't
relocate them). They are shown in Schodde & Mason but I would be interested if
anyone has info on their status there.

A few species that I missed that I expected were Crested Bellbird, Red-capped
Robin, Laughing Kookaburra, Sacred Kingfisher and try as I might I couldn't
find a Blue-faced Honeyeater in either Waikerie or Mildura on the way home.Full
list below - if anyone would like details let me know.Cheers,Peter

(I Innes NP, Y elsewhere on the Yorke Peninsula, A Adelaide including Port
Gawler, * target subspecies with name at end - those with no letter were seen
elsewhere on the trip mainly in the Riverland)
1 Emu I

2 Malleefowl I

3 Stubble Quail Y

4 Cape Barren Goose Y

5 Black Swan Y A

6 Australian Shelduck Y

7 Pink-eared Duck Y

8 Australian Wood Duck A

9 Pacific Black Duck A

10 Australasian Shoveler Y A

11 Grey Teal Y A

12 Chestnut Teal Y A

13 Hardhead Y A

14 Musk Duck A

15 Australasian Grebe Y

16 Hoary-headed Grebe Y

17 Australian White Ibis A

18 Straw-necked Ibis A

19 Nankeen Night Heron A

20 White-necked Heron Y

21 Great Egret A

22 White-faced Heron Y

23 Little Egret A

24 Australian Pelican Y I A

25 Australasian Gannet I

26 Little Pied Cormorant Y A

27 Black-faced Cormorant Y I

28 Little Black Cormorant Y I A

29 Pied Cormorant Y I

30 Great Cormorant A

31 Darter A

32 Australian Kestrel Y I

33 Australian Hobby A

34 Brown Falcon Y

35 Peregrine Falcon I

36 Black-shouldered Kite Y

37 Black Kite

38 Whistling Kite

39 White-bellied Sea-eagle Y

40 Brown Goshawk I

41 Wedge-tailed Eagle Y

42 Purple Swamphen A

43 Dusky Moorhen A

44 Black-tailed Native-hen Y A

45 Eurasian Coot A

46 Pied Oystercatcher Y

47 Sooty Oystercatcher I

48 Black-winged Stilt Y A

49 Banded Stilt Y

50 Red-necked Avocet Y

51 Masked Lapwing I A

52 Red-kneed Dotterel Y A

53 Pacific Golden Plover Y

54 Red-capped Plover Y

55 Marsh Sandpiper A

56 Common Greenshank Y A

57 Common Sandpiper Y A

58 Ruddy Turnstone Y

59 Red-necked Stint Y

60 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper A

61 Pacific Gull Y I

62 Silver Gull Y I A

63 Caspian Tern Y I A

64 Crested Tern Y

65 Fairy Tern Y

66 Whiskered Tern Y A

67 Rock Dove Y I A

68 Barbary Dove A

69 Spotted Turtle-dove Y A

70 Common Bronzewing Y

71 Brush Bronzewing Y I

72 Crested Pigeon Y I A

73 Galah Y I A

74 Little Corella A

75 Sulphur-crested Cockatoo A

76 Cockatiel

77 Rainbow Lorikeet Y I A

78 Musk Lorikeet A

79 Purple-crowned Lorikeet A

80 Australian (Mallee) Ringneck

81 Crimson (Yellow/Adelaide) Rosella A

82 Eastern Rosella A

83 Blue Bonnet Y

84 Red-rumped Parrot Y A

85 Elegant Parrot A

86 Rock Parrot I

87 Budgerigar Y

88 Pallid Cuckoo

89 Fan-tailed Cuckoo Y

90 Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo I A

91 Shining Bronze-cuckoo I

92 Rainbow Bee-eater Y

93 Variegated Fairy-wren Y I

94 Superb Fairy-wren A

95 White-winged Fairy-wren A

96 Spotted Pardalote Y I

97 Striated Pardalote Y I A

98 Rufous Fieldwren Y

99 White-browed Scrubwren* Y I A mellori

100 Weebill Y I

101 Inland Thornbill I

102 Slender-billed Thornbill* A rosinae

103 Yellow-rumped Thornbill Y I