birding-aus

some help with IDs again

To: "Gillen, Kim" <>, <>
Subject: some help with IDs again
From: "Chris Corben" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:31:30 -0500
Kim

I am still having difficulties in differentiating a Satin Flycatcher
from a Leaden Flycatcher.  I saw both the male and the female and the
photos are on Flickr.  Could someone help me?  The other 2 birds I think
I know but was hoping for confirmation was a Hardhead and a female
Rufous Whistler (also on Flickr).

Hardhead and Rufous Whistler are absolutely correct.

All your Flycatchers are Leadens. The female shows the typical, broad, washed-out orange on the throat and breast, and the pale undertail. The male is not black enough above for a Satin, and shows the typical low border between dark and light below, looking convex from the point of view of its tail. These two can be tricky, but get to know one well and when you see the other it will be fairly obvious.

Cheers,

Chris Corben