birding-aus

Update - Oriental Plover, Lockyer Valley, SE Qld

To: "birds" <>
Subject: Update - Oriental Plover, Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:59:19 +1000
If you are looking for the Oriental Plover in the Lockyer Valley these
directions may help - and as it's the first (anyone confirm that?) OP in
SE Qld this decade I guess there may be a few people keen to add it to
their lists?
Along Watson's Rd, from Boyce's, there is a sharp left hand turn,
followed approx 500 meters later, by a sharp right hand corner, before
one reaches the turn off to 7 mile lagoon. The bird is in the field on
the left between these two corners. I found it late on Wednesday
afternoon in a direct line between the gate marked 'Turf farm' and the
house on the hill. It was quite difficult to pick up as there were no
Banded Lapwings around, as previously reported, and it's pale brown
colouring blended very well with the short dead, brown grass of the
field - and it was about 150 meters away. It was feeding and finished
the afternoon sitting down quietly near a piece of cardboard or paper on
the ground that was flapping in the breeze. I know that sounds silly,
but the field is so bare this item sticks out!

Cheers
Colin
--
  Colin Reid