birding-aus

Wader ID

To: "'Phil Straw'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>, <>
Subject: Wader ID
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:30:15 +1100
G'day Phil,

I agree with Sharp-tailed Sand for image 1, and juvenile Red Knot for image
3, but I suspect image 2 is not a Tattler but also a Knot moulting out of
worn breeding plumage( note the trashed wing) the question is which species.
At first glance the dumpy shape, general plainness of the fresh plumage,
obvious pale supercilium and plain grey fresh scapulars would suggest a
longish billed Red Knot. But the bird has some very entirely black retained
worn scapulars and not one retained orange belly feather( although they
could of all been replaced) and the dark centred feathers on the sides of
the breast are a problem. I suspect this bird may in fact be a Great Knot.

Cheers Jeff Davies.