birding-aus

Oriental plovers in Darwin & little stint

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Oriental plovers in Darwin & little stint
From: Bas Hensen <>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:55:23 -0700 (PDT)
Further to Denise Goodfellow's messsage reporting a single oriental plover from
a locality which normally has a few golden plovers at high tide, and at which I
have not observed an oriental plover in 7 years, I thought listers should know
the following:
Up to 40 oriental plovers are turning up on a nearly daily basis at the
Nightcliff Foreshore locality, end of Aralia Street (cf.page 24-25, Mc Crie and
Watson, Finding Birds etc, 2nd edition, 2009) . They arrived 7 Sept this year,
and on the 6th last year, and as far as I know they are still coming in most
mornings now.
For those interested in useful, up to date information on bird sightings in
Darwin and the top end I can recommend  , to which you
can subscribe free of charge.

As an example a little stint (juv.) was sighted by Jeffrey Stenning  on Oct 3
(and was still there this morning watched by half a dozen birders at dawn) at
the Palmerston sewage works.  A report will be submitted to BARC shortly.
Greetings  Bas Hensen