birding-aus

Barbary Dove in Adelaide,

To: "'Tony Russell'" <>, "'David Kowalick'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Barbary Dove in Adelaide,
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:26:12 +1000
Thanks Tony,

I have spoken with both BA and BOCA today and they will make separate
representations to the SA government in coming weeks. I have also suggested
we do something about the birds at Williamstown here in Melbourne if we are
going to get all high and mighty about the birds in Adelaide.

The message that needs to be got across to people is that Barbary Dove is a
domesticated line almost certainly derived from African Collared Dove
Streptopelia roseogrisea, which inhabits sub Saharan Africa and Arabia. So
once these birds start wild breeding environmental pressure will selectively
revert them back to a wild type and it would probably happen quite quickly.
How quickly they might then venture out from Adelaide is anyone's guess.

The Laughing Doves in Perth are still restricted to the South West region
but it can't be assumed that this will remain the case, as long as they are
there they are being molded by their surroundings into more suitably adapted
organisms expanding their diet selection and they may eventually reach a
state of perfection which allows them to expand else where . As an example
of a reversed situation I can still remember back in the sixties when Galahs
first came into the suburbs of Melbourne. They were feeding on Liquid Amber
seeds amongst other food sources which have always been there but it took
then two hundred years to finally venture into this foreign environment and
eat novel food sources. Both Laughing Dove, which we can't now do anything
about and African Collared Dove are well designed for most of inland
Australia, so adding one more genetic model into picture is just asking for
trouble.  What happened in Alice Springs is a small example of how quickly
this can take off from apparently harmless beginnings.

Cheers Jeff.