birding-aus

Barbary Dove in Adelaide,

To: "'Jeff Davies'" <>, "'David Kowalick'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Barbary Dove in Adelaide,
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 20:39:57 +0930
Jeff, I doubt very much if anyone knows the whole situation and what is
known seems to change frequently. For myself I know of several locations
where they have been seen, ie Sampson Rd area in Elizabeth ( Mike Carter
reported up to 12 here although I've never seen that many), Roscommon Rd
in Salisbury Downs still has three or four to my knowledge, there used
to be a pair in the street outside the Port Adelaide Football stadium
but I don't believe they've been reported there for some time - whether
they are still there I don't know.  Apart from that there are some other
reports in other suburbs posted  by other people ( i.e. David Kowalick
today) , but as I said earlier, I doubt whether anybody has attempted to
collate comprehensive data on them. For instance , has anyone reported
them to Birds Aust for inclusion in the Atlas and might that be starting
point?   And if Birds Aust know about them what are they doing about it?
At best they've talked to Birds SA  and we already know how excited they
must be about the problem because nothing much has happened.  As for
local " authorities", as I said earlier today, they are probably each
expecting someone else to fix it claiming a lack of resources.

BTW, DW's report of them must be additional to Salisbury and Elizabeth
because these are northern, not South Western suburbs.
T.