birding-aus

IR lights was Re: LED (by Mike Carter 21 Sept 2009)

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: IR lights was Re: LED (by Mike Carter 21 Sept 2009)
From: David Adams <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:15:51 +1000
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Rob Geraghty <> wrote:
> Out of interest, have there been any studies on the use of Infra Red or Ultra
> Violet lights in observations of animals at night?  I've seen them used in
> documentaries with the claim that they disturb animals less, so I wonder if
> they'd be a useful tool.  When I bought my video camera in Japan back in
> 2002, I saw a clip-on IR movie light which claimed to be for exactly this
> purpose.  I also saw a parabolic microphone which I wish I'd bought, but I
> digress. :)

I've used an IR boosted digital night vision kit - about as much as I
could afford. A quick report:

* You get a much clearer image with binoculars and a torch.

* Animals are _cearly_ less disturbed by the night vision gear - they
don't seem to notice it. I tried switching between a torch (nothing
too bright) and the night vision gear while watching some Wallabies.
With the torch, the animal turned its head away and was
restless/flighty. With the night vision gear, the animal took no
notice and ate happily. I can't fairly generalize as to how other
animals might react but it seems likely that animals evolved for low
light are more likely to be bothered by bright light than to IR light
that may well be outside of their visual range.

* I suspect you have a chance of spotting shy animals more readily
with the night vision gear. For example, they're the only way I've
spotted Yellow-bellied Gliders near here.

* It's pretty hard to spot animals with the night vision gear I used.
Everything you see becomes a sort of monochromatic field. I'll carry
both - the torch for spotting and the night-vision for some of the
observation time.