birding-aus

Re: Re: LED (by Mike Carter 21 Sept 2009)

To: "'Robert Inglis'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Re: Re: LED (by Mike Carter 21 Sept 2009)
From: "Greg Little" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:28:29 +1000
Robert and all

My 2 bobs worth. Years ago I used to photographed calling frogs, with
macro lenses (100mm). I would first find the target calling frog on a
stream or pond with the uncovered torch light. When I found a calling
frog to photo I would move away and wrap several layers of red
cellophane over my torch to reduce the intensity of the light and then
very carefully and slowly get closer enough to the frog to fill the
frame. I usually shone the beam of the torch behind the frog and so had
only the edge of the beam so to speak lighting the frog. I focused by
moving the camera back and forward, not using the focus ring, and
focused on the eye shine. Many times I was successful in getting photos
and the dimmed red light and flash lights did not seem to bother the
frogs. They often call when a storm with lightning is about so I assumed
they are not blinded by flashing light. From experience I found that
trying to get close and photograph with a bright white light did not
work.

Greg Little

Greg Little - Principal Consultant
General Flora and Fauna