birding-aus

Re: LED light

Subject: Re: LED light
From: Chris <>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:52:35 -0700 (PDT)
Great post Mark,

I agree - when I first took up competitive bushwalking in the early 1990s
everyone walked at night by moonlight. Now everyone's gone all technogadgetry
and they shine lights all over the place. Most are stunned when you come
walking out of the dark telling them to shine that headlamp elsewhere cause
you're ruining our night vision! :)

Regarding red filters - just a thought - if most nocturnal mammals produce red
eyeshine, is this an indication that the red light is being reflected back (and
so not absorbed by the eye)? If so, then is this the reason for choosing red
(i.e. because the animal generally isn't affected by that colour anyway)?

Chris.