birding-aus

LED light

To: ninderry <>
Subject: LED light
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 23:15:18 +1000
Hi Greg,

There's been a bit of info posted in the archives on this before.  Dr Jack
Pettigrew at UQ has done some research on both nocturnal mammal and bird
eyes and has suggested while bird eyes are more sensitive to low light
conditions, they are also more robust than human eyes.  Light in their eyes
can interfere with feeding behaviour, though I'm not sure how much of an
impact it has.  Nocturnal mammals on the other hand are susceptible to
retinal damage, and this has been seen in some individuals in the Atherton
Tablelands that were on regular spotlighting tour routes a while ago.  One
suggestion is to use a red filter (or red cellophane) over the front of the
torch, which helps avoid the eye damage.  Combine this with a technique of
shining the light only briefly onto the animal and try and keep the main
beam away from the face once you've confirmed an ID.

In terms of eyeshine, LED light does produce a shine, but as you suspect,
its not as great as standard halogen lights (in my experience at least).

Regards,
Chris