birding-aus

koels

Subject: koels
From: Peter Adderley <>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:11:30 +1000
I feel bad in writing this email but I am becoming desperate and starting to lose sleep. How can one make a very insistent Koel um.. "move on"? At present I'm feeling that a small metallic projectile might send him to an entirely different plane but I choose not to cheat. This guy starts at about 2am and carries on relentlessly until first light. His Cooee is repeated at between two and three second intervals. I've never heard this short regularity before.

Back during 1961 when my sister was studying for her Leaving Certificate I took to using a tiny portable cassette recorder. I was younger and more nimble during those days but I remember well that blasting a Koel with it's own call made him fly off, possibly thinking that another bird had already taken that spot. I'm right out of ghetto blasters at the moment but wondering if this method might still work.

I seriously love bird song, but sheesh there's a bloody limit. ;-)

Now where are those damned Cicadas? My water pistols are loaded.

Cheers,
Peter