birding-aus

Fiji Petrel Report

To: <>
Subject: Fiji Petrel Report
From: "Geoffrey Jones" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:38:50 +1000
Hi Everyone

              This was sent to me from my mate in England Tony Pym who was
on this expedition Regards Geoff

We are pleased to announce that this year's 'Fiji Petrel Pelagic Expedition
2009' was successful in finding the species off Gau Island, Fiji (this being
the only site where a few birds have grounded in the past; the vast majority
dead or moribund after hitting village roofs).

Our sightings constitute the first unequivocal records of Fiji Petrel at
sea; eight were seen over an eleven-day period. The full results, with
superb photographs of this near-mythical species, have been under embargo
until now awaiting publication of our paper in the Bulletin of the British
Ornithologists' Club (The first observations of Fiji Petrel Pseudobulweria
macgillivrayi at sea: off Gau Island, Fiji, in May 2009 Bull. Brit. Orn. Cl.
129:129-148).

SUMMARY.-The first unambiguous observations of Fiji Petrel Pseudobulweria
macgillivrayi at sea are documented with photographs. The species'
behaviour, jizz and flight are described, together with comments on
confusion species, especially Bulwer's Bulweria bulwerii and Jouanin's
Petrels B. fallax, and Christmas (Kiritimati) Shearwater Puffinus
nativitatis. Preparations for the expedition, why a given sea area was
chosen, the 'recipe' and use of 'chum' as an attractant, and the methods
used for counting petrels are explained. The four preserved specimens of
Fiji Petrel were studied in detail and records of grounded birds, from the
only known location, Gau Island, Fiji, were reviewed and their ages
re-examined. The accruing data permit us to speculate on this petrel's
breeding season, which is highly relevant to the future conservation of this
Critically Endangered species.

For those wishing to read more and to order a copy of the September
bulletin, please go to the website of The British Ornithologists' Club;
www.boc-online.org <http://www.boc-online.org/>  (under Publications).

BirdLife International has issued a press release on this significant
development today. This includes some chosen photographs of Fiji Petrel
taken at sea. Please see;
www.birdlife.org/news/news/2009/09/fiji_petrel_discovery.html

Additionally, two photographs have been uploaded today to;
www.seabirding.co.uk/FijiPetrelPhoto.htm

It is our intention to place the full paper, with all photographs, on the
websites www.seabirding.co.uk <http://www.seabirding.co.uk/>  and
www.naturefiji.org when appropriate.

The expedition was organised by NatureFiji-MareqetiViti in partnership with
The National Trust of Fiji as a component of its larger Fiji Petrel Project.

Best regards
Hadoram Shirihai, Tony Pym, Jörg Kretzschmar, Kolinio Moce and Dick Watling