birding-aus

Sandplovers and the Sunbittern website

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Sandplovers and the Sunbittern website
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:03:22 +1000
G'day,

Many thanks to Russ Lamb for his kind words regarding my identification guide
to Sand Plovers (www.sunbittern.com/id-sandplovers.html). I should describe the
ambitions of this website.

It started out as a vehicle to convince funding authorities that I was a
suitable sort of chap to receive funding to produce further environmental
publications. Unfortunately, however, the potential funding has been cut
drastically. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed building the site and one or two
features may be of interest to birding-aus subscribers.

Rather than focussing on portrait-style galleries I've tried to diversify by
presenting galleries outlining Pumicestone Passage roosts, and roosting
shorebirds and terns, and a gallery featuring rhynchokinesis in shorebirds. I'm
no photographer but really enjoy showcasing the wonderful photos taken by folk
locally, several of whom are known to birding-aus. I couldn't resist one or two
galleries devoted to bird portraits, however, such as photos of rarities
(including the recent Buff-breasted Sandpiper).

I have also started to develop identification guides to help separate difficult
shorebird and seabird species. So far there are guides that compare Greenshank
and Marsh Sandpiper, and Lesser and Greater Sand Plovers. There are several
more in the pipeline but the challenge will definitely be 'doing' the tattlers.

There is also a section on recent sightings, which would probably be of more
interest to a local birder contemplating a visit to Bribie Island than to
birding-aus as a whole - it's always interesting to know what's being seen in
an area not too far away. There are also checklists for the region together
with species' status codes.

If anyone is interested in being informed of any significant future updates,
such as the inclusion of a new identification guide, or sightings of a local
rarity, please let me know.

Cheers - Trevor.

Trevor Ford