birding-aus

BirdSight 1.5 approved!

To: Russell Woodford <>,
Subject: BirdSight 1.5 approved!
From: Charles Mezak <>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:32:25 -0400
Russell,

Just noticed my "Add Sighting" control is still at the bottom - do I set the location of that in preferences?

I'm distressed to hear about this. There should be an add sighting button at the top of the observation overview page. Perhaps I misunderstood where you wanted it to be? If it truly is not there then something must have gone wrong in the build and submission process. Can you confirm for me that the other features are there, including wikipedia caching?

Also, is there any way of getting data IN other than normal entry? How about an upload facility in a future edition? And another way of exporting it would be nice - via bluetooth perhaps, or through synch?

Yes, unfortunately this is not an area where Apple has provided a simple way of moving files around. The one way I can think to handle upload would be to turn the iPhone into a server on a local wifi network so you can drop the files into it, but that's a major coding operation. You could download the export files in the same way, so maybe I should look into this. However, I think the best solution will be for the app to connect with an existing online sighting database like ebird or wildiaries. We're talking to some of these organizations, and we're hoping to create a way for observations to sync with those websites.

Thanks!

 - Charlie @ Natural Guides

I'll leave you in peace and play with the app for a while now!!

Cheers

Russell