birding-aus

Databases (WAS: Adobe Lightroom keywords)

To: gary wright <>, birding aus <>
Subject: Databases (WAS: Adobe Lightroom keywords)
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:41:07 +1000
Hi Gary

If you search the Birding-Aus Archive (go to www.birding-aus.org and look for the archive button) you will find that a number of birding databases have been discussed in detail over the years. THere are many helpful evaluations and other info. You may also find contact addresses for members who have developed their own birding database. There has been an explosion in online databases as well in the last couple of years. SOme of these are outstanding, and mean you have a backup of all your observations that isn't easily achieved using the proprietary databases (these however can be more fully-featured and don't require an internet connection to use).

In the last few weeks an iPhone app has appeared for Australian birds - well worth looking at as an alternative or addition to one of the other systems if you have an iPhone (or it's a REALLY good excuse to get one!). I think a new version of this is coming out soon, and you can find discussions about this in the Archive as well.

Cheers

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner