birding-aus

Red Wattlebird Influx in Northern NSW

To: Greg & Val Clancy <>
Subject: Red Wattlebird Influx in Northern NSW
From: Alan McBride <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:50:50 +1000
H Greg et al

Still tons of them here! One of the few to put up with Nosiy Friggin Miners!

Alan

On 14/08/2009, at 15:48 , Greg & Val Clancy wrote:

Hi Brian,

The Red Wattlebird is an irregular autumn-winter visitor to the north coast of New South Wales. Some years I might have two or three sightings while other years none. This year I have recorded them at Angourie, Coutts Crossing, Maclean and Yamba with a far greater number of records than usual.

Their origin is a mystery. The Red Wattlebird occurs as a breeding species on the Northern Tablelands and on the NSW coast north to about Nambucca Heads. Wintering birds could originate from either higher altitudes or higher latitudes.

Are they presently missing from any southern areas?

Greg Clancy
Coutts Crossing
North Coast NSW