birding-aus

link to a photo report -- Princess Parrots and other rarities

Subject: link to a photo report -- Princess Parrots and other rarities
From: Chris <>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to the group, and a reasonable amateur when it comes to birds,
but the subject of this thread caught my attention. Is there any other bird
that resembles the princess parrot which can be found near Sydney? I was at
Scenic Hills riding ranch at Ingleburn in Sydney's south on Sunday when I saw a
single parrot sitting in a willow tree that had no leaves. At a glance, and
with a bright sky behind it, the thought just came into my head "that's a
princess parrot". Again, the name was just intuition or instinct - had you
asked me 1 minute prior to seeing the bird to describe a princess parrot, I'd
be best-guessing, and as I say, visibility wasn't great. As far as I could tell
though, it was like an blue-green aqua, with a little pink or mauve.

A half hour later I caught sight of two parrots flying directly overhead -
again the same colours and it reaffirmed in my mind that they were princess
parrots. I meant to look them up in my guide but forgot all about them until
seeing this thread. Now - someone please tell me: "yes, they're quite common on
the south side of Sydney and you can trust your instinct more often"; but if
someone says "nope - no chance at all, go back to your books..." well... you
live and learn :)

Oh, my guidebook is not to hand at the moment, but a webpage tells me they are
supposed to be in arid regions... Hmm...

Chris.