birding-aus

UQ Lakes, St Lucia QLD, nesting Dusky Moorhen with band

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: UQ Lakes, St Lucia QLD, nesting Dusky Moorhen with band
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:09:15 +1000
This morning about 10.30am went down to UQ lakes in the grounds of UQ at St Lucia in Brisbane. Hard Heads, Pac Black Ducks as usual in abundance but no signs of any Mallard. Also 2 little pied cormorant and 4 little black cormorant. A sole intermediate egret with breeding plumage in full effect seen successfully hunting. There was also a straw necked ibis in top condition with excellent iridescent plumage. And the four guinea-fowl, although the one with the limp seems to have disappeared and is replaced by a rather nice light-grey one.

However, and the reason for posting this rather pedestrian list of birds, at about 11 am we did see a Dusky Moorhen nesting, and in photos afterward realised the hen had a single silver band on the right leg. The nest was built on some sort of light-blue float that looks like it operates some kind of water monitoring equipment. Couldn't see any eggs from the shore, I got the impression she was more bedding the nest down than actually brooding eggs.

I don't know who is interested in banding Moorhens but if anyone does know, can they please pass this information on if relevant. I have photos for verification if needed.

Regs
Scot.