birding-aus

Bar-tailed Godwit banded in Victoria found in Western Alaska

To: birdingaus aus <>
Subject: Bar-tailed Godwit banded in Victoria found in Western Alaska
From: Ricki Coughlan <>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 12:44:36 +1000
"When considered in context of the hundreds, perhaps thousands of leg

flagged godwits that have been manacled, the statement "that a small flag
and aluminium band harmlessly attached to its legs" is no more than an
optimistic assumption when evaluating the return rate of the few survivors."

Sorry Ian, whilst sympathising to some extent with your view, I think that your comment is somewhat full of assumptions, particularly the use of the words like "manacled" and "survivors". It is odd that the original author used the word "harmlessly", one would hope that is the case before setting out to conduct flagging projects.

I tend to believe that cannon netting is conducted too frequently in some areas at some times (and admittedly that is based on my own assumptions and you can buy an argument there). However if we didn't have netting and flagging projects for migratory shorebirds we'd be years behind in the type of knowledge required to aid to conservation measures. We would be able to confirm very little about their lives and that's a fact.

I have seen many hundreds of banded shorebirds and only one (Broad- billed Sandpiper) which seemed mildly distressed by the leg flag it was wearing. All the others seemed no more disturbed than I am with the rings on my fingers: i.e. not at all.

Ricki Coughlan

http://www.redtail.net.au

Can we please not have this conversation again...

"they spotted a bar-tailed godwit with a small orange flag and aluminum
band harmlessly attached to its legs. Further research revealed that"

When considered in context of the hundreds, perhaps thousands of leg
flagged godwits that have been manacled, the statement "that a small flag
and aluminium band harmlessly attached to its legs" is no more than an
optimistic assumption when evaluating the return rate of the few survivors.

Regards

Ian May
St Helens, Tasmania

John Leonard wrote:

The original story was a 'Bar-tailed Godwit banded near Victoria....'

Pretty big area!

John Leonard