birding-aus

Pallid Cuckoo... and Portland birding!

To: "John Tongue" <>, "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Subject: Pallid Cuckoo... and Portland birding!
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:56:28 +1000
I totally agree Richard! Please let me know the name of that therapist, I think
I'm suffering a severe case of compulsive birding behaviour.

For instance I spent the weekend chasing birds in Portland, Cape Nelson and
Rennick State Forest (near the South Australia and Victorian border) tracking
down Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo, White-fronted Tern, Kelp Gull, and close
encounters with Brown Skua.  All 2009 VicTwitch ticks.

Lots of other interesting birds such as Black-browed, Yellow-nosed, Shy
Albatross, possible Wandering Albatross, Fluttering Shearwater, Fairy Prion,
Beautiful Firetail, Rufous Bristlebird, possible Common Diving-Petrel, all seen
at Cape Nelson. Also an unusual collection of Kelp Gull grouped together,
feeding with Raven and Magpie, in a farm paddock 5 km inland. To cape it off I
popped into Logan's Beach in Warrnambool and saw 2 Southern Right Whale, a
mother and her new calf.

Cheers,

Tim