birding-aus

Birding economics

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Birding economics
From: "Ross Macfarlane" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:25:45 +1000
That sounds fairly standard in my experience Peter. I reckon we typically get 2-4 cars per hour stopping for a look around. The majority, I'd say 2 thirds, would be families or other passers-by who aren't traditional birders, and the rest regulars who are often members of FESWI already. It could be 50-odd people in the course of a weekend?

The location on Edithvale Road makes all the difference (it's the extension of Springvale Road, one of the biggest north-south arteries in eastern Melbourne). I think many of the visits are opportunistic with people just out for a Sunday drive.

I always try to work on the kids who drop in - helping them to spot a duck or swan or something in the spotting scope, and trying to "infect" them with the birding bug. There was one little girl who didn't need innoculation last year - she came in with her Dad, aged probably 6 or 7, and she was so excited it was great to see. And she could spot a bird a long way off - watch your backs Dooley et al... :-)

Ross Macfarlane