birding-aus

Birding economics

To: Dave Torr <>, Ross Macfarlane <>
Subject: Birding economics
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:03:23 +1000
When I visited the Edithvale hide when the Painted Snipe was around last year,
it was quite crowded in the hide.  Yet the bird wasn't visible from there, it
was only visible from the carpark, and only a handful were looking at it.

My impression of the people in the hide was that heaps of them had just dropped
in because they were curious about the hide, or about birds, and didn't know
about the snipe at all.  I don't know if that was a typical day at the hide, or
if I just hit a busy period.

Peter Shute