birding-aus

Topknot Pigeon sightings anyone?

To: Brian Hawkins <>
Subject: Topknot Pigeon sightings anyone?
From: Tony Gibson <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:05:50 +1000
Hi Brian

About 50 Topknots flew into a tree yesterday, all perched in lines along the branches - great to see. They were there for a few minutes , then flew off. Location about 9 km west of Nimbin NSW. I've been seeing them on & off for a couple of weeks now. Probably feeding on Privet.

Cheers
Tony

Hey birders, anyone seen any Topknots over the last few months? There were many around Bellingen (mid north coast NSW) in April, gearing up for the regular Camphor Laurel season, but by late May they had almost all gone. The heavy autumn storms seem to have knocked down much (all in places) of the Camphor Laurel fruit, resulting in a poor crop. There are still occasional small flocks in the Bellinger Valley (feeding on what? quite a few winter figs are fruiting, but I haven't seen Topknots in them) and I have also seen a few birds in temperate rainforest country in the mountains (maybe feeding on Cissus?), but nowhere near the numbers of last winter. So I was wondering if maybe there are big aggregations elsewhere? Any info would be gratefully appreciated! Brian ____________________________________________________________________________________ Access Yahoo!7 Mail on your mobile. Anytime. Anywhere. Show me how: http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mail

--
Tony Gibson
123 Zouch Road