birding-aus

Lord Howe Island Rodent Control Draws Flack

To: "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: Lord Howe Island Rodent Control Draws Flack
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:17:06 +1000
I'd like to think that there is more to this plan than what is reported in the
ABC story. I can't imagine that NSW and Commonwealth environment authorities
have not thought this through fully and weighed up all the options.

Having said that, I'd also be worried about the impacts of the baits on top
order predators on the island, e.g. Masked Owl and Lord Howe Island Pied
Currawong, and even some seabird species. Is there a chance that they could
take the carcasses of poisoned rats or the baits themselves? Does anyone know
if there is a contingency plan for these types of species?

I think this is a clear example of what we have been discussing on Birding-aus
over the last few days with respect to development and (in this case) activity
proposals, i.e. there needs to be a clear public explanation of the actions
proposed and a full public discussion of the potential impacts on the
environment. The fact that some people have a few concerns would suggest that
there has not been enough public consultation in this case.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW