birding-aus

Lord Howe Island Rodent Control Draws Flack

To: "Carl Clifford" <>, "Birding-Aus Aus" <>
Subject: Lord Howe Island Rodent Control Draws Flack
From: "storm" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 20:56:00 +1000
Anyone interested in looking further at this issue can check out the EPBC
page on the Rail and the recovery plan (below)
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/publications/recovery/
lord-howe-wood-hen/index.html

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id
=59572

Interestingly, apparently rodent predation is listed as a Key Threatening
Process, although "Rats do not appear to be a serious problem for the
Woodhen, although they adversely affect the Kentia Palm industry and a
control program is currently underway. However there is potential for
indirect impacts upon Woodhen the population via rat and mouse control
programs."

More information at the link.

This plan is not yet on the EPBC page so I am not sure how developed it is.

With regards to the EPBC page, it would be a huge improvement if one could
sign up for daily updates to the page. This really would contribute to the
transparency of the process. In the mean time I have been talking to my
partner in bat advocacy who is much more technologically savvy than I am and
he has set up a 'robot' to watch the EPBC page and report changes to several
matters that we are following. Ideally one would be able to find a robot
that would report on new matters that met specific keywords.

cheers
storm