birding-aus

Masked, Powerful, Sooty and Barking Owl Habitat Trashed in Lake Macquari

Subject: Masked, Powerful, Sooty and Barking Owl Habitat Trashed in Lake Macquarie
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:27:41 +1000 (EST)
Thanks for the comments about this matter, and I thought it worthwhile for
the record to make sure that the central issue in this specific case was
pinged again: this area has over the years clearly sustained varying
populations of all four large forest owls (and of course Barn & Boobooks).
The few people "on the ground" in the area who know about these things
have been pushing hard to publicise the presence of this suite of owls as
part of more broadscale arguments favouring actions that faciliate
conservation.

That this coal haul road construction has been able to get through all the
various loopholes involved in NSW Governmental policy and threatened
species legislation while the area has had a "pending" decision on
reserves and conservation management under the Lower Hunter Regional
Conservation Strategy seems utterly incredible to this observer.

Anyone with contacts to DECC NSW or Threatened Species Networks, please
forward my emails as you see fit. Big hi to Steve Debus and Rod Kavanagh
if they still lurk somewhere online! And to Mick Todd as well who should
know about what they have done to his old stomping ground.

regards

Craig