birding-aus

Brown Goshawk/Collared Sparrowhawk?

To: <>
Subject: Brown Goshawk/Collared Sparrowhawk?
From: "Mark and Mandy Young" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 00:33:27 +1000
G'day Nigel,

First let me just say, that first photo is a fantastic once in a lifetime
shot of 2 very similar birds side by side in an almost identical position.
For ID purposes, you couldn't ask for a better photo. So congrats on getting
that shot.

I wish I could be of some help, but the only way I know to tell the
difference is the CSH has an elongated middle toe, and the lower bird does
appear to have longer feet than the top one. Other differences that I've
read that seem to separate these two birds don't seem to be consistent with
the pictures, so I'm a bit confused.

Hopefully someone else with a lot more insight can be more useful to you
than I.

Regards,
Mark