birding-aus

RFI Mudgee NSW - birding and accommodation

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: RFI Mudgee NSW - birding and accommodation
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:43:54 +1000
What a brilliant idea Peter!
For example, the famous Cairns Esplanade has a fantastic kids playground half way along it called Muddys. Heaps of different play equipment including some water based areas for cooling down. Lots of jets coming out of the ground at different heights and intervals. There is also a cafe (ice cream!!), but most importantly the birds are just outside plus things like Varied Honeyeaters, Figbirds, Helmeted Friarbirds flying around the trees above you. It is also very shady.

As for steadying your binoculars with a child on your back....I don't think it's entirely possible!! I try by wearing a cap and holding the brim of the cap with a couple of fingers as well as the binoculars. This gives quite a bit of extra stability against your head. I must admit that i was able to see and photograph Thick-billed Grasswren with my 18mth old daughter on my back! Her interpreted squeals of "keep moving Daddy" didn't help with a bird like that though :)

Cheers
Dave