birding-aus

Superb Parrot in the news

To: Ian May <>
Subject: Superb Parrot in the news
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 15:23:01 +1000
Ian,

With forests, artificial disturbances such as clearfelling and burning tend
more often to lead to an overall decrease in biodiversity.  Old growth
forests reach a balance between old trees dying and new trees emerging.
Species attain dominance in patches due to a very complex microenvironment
within the forest based on canopy cover, soil chemistry water availability
and other factors.  Natural disturbance has the power to alter this
seccessional balance, but clearfelling completely destroys it.  Any natural
forest that grows back will attain a different seccessional balance, one
that will not necessarily be suited to any endangered species in the area.
Also, for many species of eucalypts, it takes nearly 100 years to begin
senescing, that is forming hollows big enough for our parrots to nest in.
More importantly, in the Tasmanian context, once forests are clearfelled and
burned they are then replaced by a monoculture of plantation trees,
definitely not an improvement as far as our fauna and flora are concerned.
I personally doubt forestry bodies argue for clearfelling because of
biodiversity benefits, but instead believe it is cheaper to harvest a whole
area at once, therefore their bottom line is greatly improved.

Sustainable forestry (and by this I mean selective harvesting) can occur,
but it requires a lot of trust in the bodies engaged.  I point you to the
recent scandal in Victoria where the official forestry body was caught
harvesting trees they were not legally allowed to take.  Sustainable
forestry requires that the people involved not only understand the
principles but actually believe in them enough to forgo the "extra profit"
to be had from breaking the rules.

Regards,
Chris