birding-aus

Flame Robin and maybe Bassian Thrush

Subject: Flame Robin and maybe Bassian Thrush
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 07:47:38 +0800 (WST)
Yesterday afternoon at Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe (Vic) I saw
a brown Flame Robin on the soccer-field. There was a faint
orange flush on the upper breast, so it may have been an
immature male. It was all alone but keeping company with a
Willy Wagtail.

In the 1970s we used to see Flame Robins here in dozens
every winter. Nowadays they are passage migrants in ones and twos.

On the path between the Bailey Billabong and the golfcourse
I took no interest in what appeared to be a female blackbird
in the distance - but as I got closer it was definitely too big
with darker mottling or scale markings...Before I could bring
binocs to bear it flounced off into the undergrowth.
  On jizz I would say it was a Bassian Thrush. In recent years
they have been autumn-winter visitors to this location.

Anthea Fleming