birding-aus

Re: [canberrabirds] Pelican stories for thefuture - Ockham's Razor

To: <>
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Pelican stories for thefuture - Ockham's Razor
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 14:17:55 +1000
Procellariiform seabirds have enlarged olfactory bulbs and appear to use
olfaction (sense of smell) to detect fish in the ocean. It is generally
believed that non-procellariiform seabirds don't have this heightened sense
of olfaction and rely largely on vision to find prey.

Australian Pelicans are not procellariiform seabirds, but it would be
interesting to know if they have enlarged olfactory bulbs. If they do, then
perhaps they may have an ability to smell floodwaters (or fish in the
floodwaters) from afar.

Additionally, there has been quite a bit of debate in the scientific
literature over the last 15 years about whether or not birds use olfactory
navigation, along with magnetic cues, and visual cues of the landscape, and
sun and star positions, to orientate themselves during migration. The weight
of evidence suggests that olfactory navigation (the use of familiar smells
to orientate and fly in the right direction) does play a role, but only over
short distances, perhaps towards the end point of a migratory journey.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW