birding-aus

Voices of some Australian Owls

Subject: Voices of some Australian Owls
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 13:22:39 +1000
Hello John and other owl-lovers,

I should know more about the Tassie Boobook situation than I do seeing
as I spend a significant amount of my time chasing owls in Tasmania,
however, they are usually a different species that I am chasing and
boobooks get put to the side.

I've just started making an effort to get some decent recordings of
Tasmanian Boobooks, however, I have no good "boobook" recordings as of
yet. To the casual ear (human ear) they sound the same as boobooks on
the mainland. Certainly they make many of the same calls. There is a
recording of the "boobook" call by Ron Nagorcka on David Stewart's CD
"Australian Bird Calls- Tasmania".

In the mid 1990's there was a series of playback surveys for forest owls
in Tasmania by Phil Bell and Jason Weirsma. They played back boobook
calls (probably mainland recordings) and got many responses. Mind you, I
can get responses just by imitating the "boobook" call so I don't know
that it means a lot. If you want I could try the playback experiment of
different boobook calls sometime in the next month.

They /look /different. The yellow iris is an obvious feature but the
pattern of plumage is a little different as well. They seem small. I
have some photos of Tassie Boobooks on my website (wildlifing.smugmug.com).

I don't know enough about the red boobook to say much. I don't remember
them sounding different. I have photographed owls on the Atherton
Tableland that look more like your standard south-east Australia
boobook, and visa versa. One of the owls that bred next door to where I
lived at Toronto, central coast NSW looked more like a "red" boobook
than your standard boobook. I suspect that there is quite a bit of
variation.

Cheers

Mick

Michael Todd
PhD Candidate- Tasmanian Masked Owl
School of Zoology, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 05, Hobart, Tasmania 7001
Mobile: O458 394676
FAX: (03) 6226 2745
Wildlifing (www.wildlifing.smugmug.com)

Message: 4