birding-aus

Buying optics

To: Carl Clifford <>, Ian May <>
Subject: Buying optics
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:13:53 +1000
There are quite a few long zoom compact cameras around now.  I guess they'll
all take reasonable pictures in reasonable light.  They're grainy in low light
because of the tiny sensors they use, but the pictures are still good for id.

A quick look at the manual of this X70
(http://www.pentaximaging.com/pdf/X70_OPM_ENGLISH.pdf) and reading a few user
comments on the web indicates that this one might not be right for birding.

The electronic viewfinder has no dioptre adjustment.  In my opinion you need to
use the viewfinder rather than the rear LCD, or it's too hard to find the bird,
especially in bright light.  If your eyesight is a little off, the lack of
adjustment might make it hard to use.

Users are complaining that the small battery gives very short battery life.
Not the end of the world, but it uses a proprietary battery, so if you want a
spare it might be expensive.

It doesn't appear to be able to take a teleconverter, although 624mm is very
usable.

I find that some shots are impossible without easily accessible manual
focusing.  My camera (Canon S3) requires me to hold down a button at the front
and press the up/down button on the back to focus.  It's slow and cumbersome,
but often works.  This one requires you to select MF from a menu, which means
it's going to be even harder.  There are a small number of compact cameras that
have a focusing ring at the front, which would surely make life much easier,
but I'd insist on at least having a dedicated MF button.  These features are,
unfortunately, rarely mentioned in the specs and reviews, so it can be hard to
work out which ones have them.

The default focusing mode has a gigantic focus frame that would make it
impossible to autofocus on any bird in vegetation, even if you had a clear view
of it.  It appears that you can reduce the size of this, but it isn't clear by
how much.  The smaller the better, in my opinion, to allow focusing between
branches, etc.  It also isn't clear whether you can use the tracking AF in this
mode

The sensor on this camera is small, making the noise problem worse.  There are
other compact super zooms with larger sensors, although I haven't checked how
the costs compare.

Peter Shute