birding-aus

Mid-north Coast NSW Old Bar

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Mid-north Coast NSW Old Bar
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:22:59 +1000

Dear all

Spent a happy day yesterday at Wollombi Point/Saltwater Creek and Farquahar Inlet with a mate, in calm warm conditions, with very few people around - excellent for birding. This area is just south of the Manning River estuary and Taree.

At Saltwater Creek, a sad call had us searching trees overhead and across the creek, until we noticed a raptor circling above. After much thought and consulting Slater, we realised this was a juvenile Brahminy Kite. At Wollombi Point, most of the fig trees are full of fruit - Regent and Satin Bowerbirds, Spotted Catbird feasting but no Wompoo Pigeons, or any other pigeon for that matter, in sight or sound. 1 Striated Heron out on a sand bar. Lots of Noisy Friarbirds being noisy in the few Eucalypt salignas just coming into flower, plus Scarlet Honeyeaters. Also lots of Scaly-breasted Lorikeets around and a few Rainbow.

At Farquahar Inlet, lots of Double-banded Plovers over from NZ, and Red-neck Stints showing reddish necks, a few Bar-tailed Godwits, one in bright breeding plumage, a couple of Curlews, and 2 Pacific Golden Plovers in beautiful breeding plumage, with a few others still rather drab. A Striated Heron allowed great close views on the rocks near the start of the walk, and another stayed just ahead of us the whole time we walked along the inside edge of the lagoon and Little Tern compound, in which we saw the two resident Beach Stone-curlews, stationed near some fence posts. Lots of Little Terns fishing, also 3 Caspian, several Common and at least 30 Crested. Two Little Pied Cormorants, 1 White-faced Heron, 4 Black Swans, heap of Pelicans, 2 Little Egret, 1 Whistling Kite, 1 Black-shouldered Kite, a nearly all-adult plumaged White-bellied Sea Eagle chased off by an Osprey that then dived into the surf emerging with a very large fish that it had trouble carrying away. Interestingly enough, no birds except a few Silver Gulls on the shingle beach and just a few Silver Gulls, two Pied Cormorants and Crested Terns on the water. A large bunch of Terns were fishing just off the inlet mouth through which water was pouring into the surf, presumably Common and Little. In the picnic area at the end of the track that leads from the caravan park south with the lagoon on the right, a pair of Scaly-breasted Lorikeets were occupying a hollow, one inside, the other popping its head in, trying to enter and being given the heave-ho - or that's what it looked like.

Nothing exceptional back home in my garden in Gloucester. Rufous Whistlers are noisy and a Restless Flycatcher is calling after being absent all summer. The hoards of green Satin Bowerbirds are also back, eating the native ground cover under my shrubs, pretend bower construction, and one ivory-billed greenie was making excessive advances to a black male, who looked totally confused. All that whirring and wheezing, dancing, wing flipping and tail fanning performed to the wrong sex, but presumably perfecting his technique. The bower in the front garden has reappeared but is very sub-standard, and bits of blue plastic travel around the garden or are carried off by the next door garden's alpha male.