birding-aus

RFI Where to find some Sydney birds

To: <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: RFI Where to find some Sydney birds
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:17:43 +1100
Hi Frank,

My $0.02 for these.

Godwits, Sandpipers, Knots, Plovers, Gulls and Terns: There's been a
Great Knot and Grey Plover at Boat Harbour off and on, but I haven't
seen them in a bit. The Grey Plover was there a fortnight ago, and the
Knot about 2 months ago. Kelp Gulls and Little Terns are the go up here,
you'll (possibly) get Kelp at La Perouse, and I had several Little Tern
at Boat Harbour in early February. Not seen in the last 2 weeks.

Lewin's Rail: The Bicentennial Park Triangle Pond is pretty full at the
moment (as of late last week). There's not much chance of seeing
anything there apart from ducks. A Lewin's was seen at Maroubra about 4
weeks ago at the end of the beach. Good luck finding it though.

Pacific Baza: Worth a look at the northern end of Lady Carrington Drive
at the Royal National Park to see if they're still hanging around - I
didn't see any 3 weeks ago when I was there though.

Grey Goshawk: one bird in December at La Perouse, and occasionally at
Loftus (southern suburbs, near Royal National Park.

Striated Heron: Bonna Point at Kurnell (so sort of north west of Boat
Harbour) is worth a look early in the morning on a low tide.

Eastern Koel: There's been a male hanging about the fig tree in the
driveway to my work out at Lidcombe (~30-45 minutes from Kurnell) for
the past 6 weeks - haven't seen him the past 4 days though - may have
started to venture north again.

Rockwarbler: I had a pair at the bush camp-ground at Wattamolla a few
weeks back - it's my reliable spot for them, although I know I've put
some other people on to it and they've had no joy. They must know
they're tourists ;) Others have more luck with them in the Mountains.

Boat Harbour to Barren Grounds would be around 2 hours.

I've got a website I made for uni a year or so ago with some locations
here - http://users.tpg.com.au/mrtroy/birding/index.html it might be of
some use for you.

Cheers

Troy