birding-aus

American Golden Plover update 18/3/09

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: American Golden Plover update 18/3/09
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:03:31 +1100
I have just uploaded another 9 images from today at Boat Harbour.

http://www.pbase.com/davidstowe/american_golden_plover

Hope these views are useful. I did photograph it calling but couldn't make the call out myself due to strong wind (and poor hearing).
No flight shots and only stretched its wings a couple of times.
I was also able to take an interesting shot with the AGP directly behind a PGP. Using a smaller aperture i was able to get both bills pretty much in focus and the heads in line. AGP bill seems a tiny fraction heavier but not by any large degree. The 4th primary is just visible extending beyond the tertials. Given that it wasn't long ago that there was no projection, is it possible that the primaries may not have finished growing yet?

Also if anyone is great at naming the feathers I would love to send an image to you to check the correct description.

Cheers
David Stowe