birding-aus

AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER - BOAT HARBOUR, SYDNEY - 17.3.09

To: <>
Subject: AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER - BOAT HARBOUR, SYDNEY - 17.3.09
From: "Dejan Stojanovic " <>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:36:56 +0900
Hi all,

Went to Kurnell and found Graham et al. (thanks Ray for letting me hijack
your scope).

While there, got a number of shots showing the rear end of the bird well
(clear shots of the primary projection etc).

Had a HANZAB printout and a Sibley Guide with us and the bird very
convincingly matched all the characteristics of both texts as an AGP. It
also had a markedly different jizz to the other plovers there- the body
shape was like a fat tear-drop with a relatively horizontal, hunched
carriage, with an over-all greyer colour and a distinct lack of dorsal
golden spangling by comparison to  the PGP's. It also had a distinctive pale
eyebrow, giving it a 'grumpy' look by comparison to the PGP's (excuse the
anthropomorphism...).

The bird is comparatively more nervous than the PGP's it was hanging around
with, but still allowed a reasonably close approach.

If you want to see my pics, flick me an email and I'll forward.

Thanks.

Dee.

Dejan Stojanovic

Cross Regional Project Officer