birding-aus

Bushnnell binoculars and service

To: Trevor Ford <>
Subject: Bushnnell binoculars and service
From: Sue Lashko <>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:39:35 +1100
I owned a pair of Bausch and Lombe but unfortunately left them on the car
roof one day and drove off!!!  By then B & L's were no longer made so I
sought advice from Bintel and bought 10 x 42 Bushnell Excursion (cost
~$370).  I would agree that Bushnell binos are very good, especially for the
price - the optics, that is.    However, what really frustrates me is not
the focusing wheel but the ridiculous way the strap attached to the body via
a "lug" that locks into a "click-in" mechanism - not a very good description
but those who own Bushnell's will know what I mean.  On my first pair, I
wore out 4 of these lugs within 6 months or so and had to get spares from
Bintel in Sydney.  Then the plastic oval surrounding the clip-in mechanism
split and the 2 sections of the clip-in part fell out so I could no longer
attach the strap.  Bintel replaced those binos but the new pair did exactly
the same thing, this time within 3 months.  Currently they are held together
with gaffer tape.  I wrote to Bushnell in the US but received no reply so I
was fairly unimpressed. I know 3 others who own Bushnells and all have
experienced exactly the same problem.

 Currently I'm looking for a new brand - Nikon Monarch's perhaps - ie
something under $1000 (Swarovskis or Leicas will require a Lotto win).  Any
other recommendations?

Cheers
Sue

Sue