birding-aus

Rufuos Bristle Bird - Kinglake?

To: "Tim Connell" <>, <>
Subject: Rufuos Bristle Bird - Kinglake?
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:50:48 +1100
Hi Tim,

Unfortunately you're well out of range for Rufous Bristlebird. It's a coastal
heath bird, with the nearest population Torquay, and then west to the Otways
and Coorongs in SA. They also tend to be sedentary bird i.e. remaining in one
area and prefering a singular habitat preference. This is one reason the
bristlebird family is under-threat; being unable to adapt to changes in the
coastal ecology (and cats).

I reckon there's two of three possibilies for your bird:

1. A female or immature Blackbird, which can look surprisingly Rufous
Bristlebird-like, especially the immature birds at this time of year. Pizzy
describes a young Blackbird as "plumage mottled rufous".

2. Less-likely a Pilotbird, which is found in the forests around Kinglake.
Similar size and shape. They are normally a very shy and elusive bird. Perhaps
the fires have forced behavioral changes, pushing it into your garden.
Interestingly (and you don't mention this) the call of the Pilotbird is
extremely similar to the Rufous Bristlebird, and they are in fact closely
related.

3. Bassian Thrush, perhaps an immature bird - the right size and basically
similar color and shape. Hard to confuse though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby