birding-aus

Ticks

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Ticks
From: Chris Charles <>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 22:33:02 +1100
Due to laziness & other diversions, my garden is embarrassingly untidy. So it was a relief that I was told that it was not untidy but wildlife friendly. (It seems to be working as we have plenty of bandicoots, possums, & birds.) One of the shrubs that have gone feral is a Rondaleisa & it is a real bird magnet while it is flowering. It overhangs the clothes line. Last week we made up beds for weekend guest with freshly laundered white sheets. But the guests got up surprisingly early on Saturday morning because they were covered in bites. With the aid of a magnifying glass we found dozens of tiny ticks & suspect the the Rondaleisa is the tick access to the clothes line. I regularly get ticks (8 legged variety) when I move through the bush reserve behind our place but beyond a bit of local itching there are no other effects. However our guests limbs became inflamed & swollen. Suddenly my garden is embarrassing again.

So the question to the forum is does anyone know of a reliable way of getting rid of ticks from inside the house & from a garden area?
There does not seem to much web info in this direction.
I told my wife that if there is a cold winter they will disappear but she seems to want more reassurance than this.
Chris

Chris Charles
0412 911 184

33deg 47'30"S