birding-aus

Swallows frequenting old nests

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Swallows frequenting old nests
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 08:00:00 +1000
I had a plant production nursery on Tamborine Mountain in SE Qld during the 1970s and 80s. About 1980, I built a fairly large packing/potting/work shed open on two sides. Shortly after, a pair of Welcome Swallows moved in and built a nest. They raised 4 young and quite soon were again brooding eggs. Between September and May, they raised four clutches of four young from the same nest - a total of 16 young. By the end of May we had 18 swallows in and around the shed. Through the working week, there were 4 or 5 people working in the shed, most of whom took a keen interest in the goings on of the swallows (helped I guess by the fact that they knew I was pretty keen on birds). The following spring, three pairs had nests in the shed all of which raised young - the original nest was used again. We tolerated that for a while but with so many birds coming and going and staff and packed plants being pelted with swallow pellets, we eventually had to discourage them by putting shade cloth over the open sides. Can't say that I took a great deal of notice as to whether they returned to the nest at night - it was always good to get back home and relax after a busy day in the nursery. Looking back now, it would have been an interesting banding project had we known at the time what was ahead - it would have been interesting as well to know whether any individuals of the two new pairs which built nests the following year were progeny of the original pair.