birding-aus

Collective noun for an assembledge of twitchers

To: L&L Knight <>
Subject: Collective noun for an assembledge of twitchers
From: Ian May <>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:18:00 +1100
mobile vulgus of twitchers

Latin </wiki/Latin> phrase meaning "the easily moveable crowd," from which the term "mob" originally derives.

L&L Knight wrote:

I've received on off-line suggestion of "a tic(k) of twitchers". This combines the nervous behaviour [tic] with the activity of ticking. There is also a social dimension in that twitchers get to meet one another and hence add ticks to the list of twitchers they have seen/met.

LK