birding-aus

Stolen telescopes

To: <>
Subject: Stolen telescopes
From: "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:42:43 +1100
Recently (5th February) our car was broken into in central Melbourne and
amongst other rather more high-profile items my two telescopes were stolen
(sheds a tear).

We of course reported the theft to the police (who have been checking pawn
shops, etc). Perhaps a Birding-Aus reader has somehow or other seen or heard
of either of them in the intervening weeks. Naturally I would very much
appreciate any information you may have (and I would be willing to pay you
your purchase price if you happen to have managed a "bargain" purchase of
either of them somewhere recently).

Details:

1.      Kowa TSN1 77mm angled view spotting scope with 25X eyepiece and
green cloth cover. Optically in excellent condition but both lens caps were
missing and the objective lens extension-shade had a small "ding" in it from
an accident some years ago. They didn't take the tripod - a minor
consolation.
2.      A well used Opticron 60mm angled view spotting scope with a 20-60X
(I think) zoom eyepiece. It had a window mount attached, although this may
have been subsequently removed. [This was a much travelled scope, having
been borrowed by several visiting overseas birders for various trips around
Australia!]

In the expectation that I will probably never see either of these items
again (another tear), if anyone has a pre-loved and rarely used Kowa TSN1
(or TSN3?) which they are interested in selling (or even loaning/renting?)
to me (until the much awaited new Leica spotting scope finally sees the
light of day?) I would be pleased to hear from you. I was really quite fond
of my aging TSN1 and could use it very comfortably and efficiently (which is
more than I can say for my wife's 65mm Swarovski - lovely optically but very
user-unfriendly with its eccentric balance, difficult aiming and clunky
supplied tripod) - and would therefore like to return to where I was if at
all possible until I buy a long-term replacement (probably the new Leica -
if it matches expectations).

With thanks

Richard NOWOTNY

Port Melbourne, Victoria