birding-aus

Email requesting feathers

To: Paul McDonald <>
Subject: Email requesting feathers
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:04:03 +0930
Dear all,

I regularly pick up dead birds, and, if they are in good condition take them home and pop them in the freezer and then to the (institutional) taxidermist in town when next I go in where they are welcomed and given a new temporary home in the freezer...oh, and I also pick up injured birds and wildlife and rehab them until I can get to town (or released locally if well enough) where they end up with a registered carer and thence (sometimes - as in the 3 fallen-from-the-nest Woodswallows a couple of weeks ago) eventually find their way to the Alice Springs Desert park.

Bob Gosford
Yuendumu
Paul McDonald wrote:
Hi Akos et al,

The point of the law, as I understand it, is to prevent animals being killed for access to the material. ie How can you prove that the feather you have was dropped from a free-living or rehab bird? Or the stuffed frogmouth on the mantle piece was roadkill? You can't, and there is a possibility that some folk will shoot, trap and so on deliberately to get the feather/skin/carcass that they desire. Thus we have the blanket law.

I don't entirely agree with it, and would rather see prosecution effort go towards some of the more blatant acts of wildlife persecution, however I can see their point. I also doubt that anyone has ever been, or will ever be, charged for possessing a feather, though perhaps I'm wrong?

Cheers,
Paul