birding-aus

Identification Help Requested

To: <>, BirdingAus <>
Subject: Identification Help Requested
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:31:14 +0000
Dear Eric,

My first impression was that this was a Blue-breasted Fairy-wren and this is
confirmed by the call.  The call of the Variegated Fairy-wren is much courser
and more strident.  I will see if I can attach a MP3 file with the song of each
bird off list so you can hear the difference.

As for the Frogmouth, I am not game to say one way or the other.  I
photographed a Frogmouth in my garden a couple of years ago that had a large
plume and rufous plumage thinking it could be a Marbled but it was a Tawny as
the wings showed the checkerboard markings characteristic for this species.
Your video did not give a good view of the wings, so in the absence of this and
no calls, I am not sure that it will be possible to definitively identify it as
one or the other.

Kind regards

Judith