birding-aus

Bird ID

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Bird ID
From: "Chris Baxter" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:41:05 +1030
Hi All

A friend has emailed me a bird photo that he asked me to ID. I reckon it is
a whistler but I am unsure after that. Could you help with ID please. There
is a photo of the bird on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/chrisbaxterki/ . It
is the last pic in the sequence. Thanks for your help on this.

For your interest the other 34 pics are of an unidentified crested penguin
that turned up at Cape Du Couedic on the SW tip of Kangaroo Island (same
place where Antarctic Tern was found) recently. The penguin was first seen
on 24 Jan 09 and was moulting at the time. It was subsequently photographed
by Daniel and David Baxtwer on 27 Jan 09. It has not been seen since. It is
in a NP&W Prohibited NZ Fur Seal Sanctuary area and one or two of the pics
show the penguin alongside a NZ fur seal pup. Photos have been forwarded to
penguin expert Ken Simpson in Victoria and the jury is still out to its
exact species ID due to it being in moult and not showing clearly its new
plumage. There has been some suggestion it may be a Moseley's Rockhopper
Penguin (from ST Paul/Amsterdam Islands) in bottom of Indian Ocean but that
still remains to be confirmed. I will be going back again for another search
to get more pics but I am now no longer confident of finding it and getting
more photo sequences. There have been more than a dozen beachwashed Eudyptes
penguins collected from KI (plus one other live one seen) - most of these
have so far been ID as Fiordland Penguins E. pachyrynchus with another two
derelicts positively ID as Moseley's Rockhopper Penguins E. moseleyi.

I welcome some feedback on any of this topic/photos

Cheers

Chris Baxter

Kangaroo Island