birding-aus

Slang/jargon use of Chook

To: "'James Lambert'" <>, <>
Subject: Slang/jargon use of Chook
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:13:08 +1100
G'day James,

I first heard the word chook used in relation to common birds very early on
in my birding life, (early 1980s). I think Peter Lansley was the first
person I heard use it, and it was well entrenched in the vocab of the
Brisbane twitching scene in the mid-eighties when I visited there.

In fact, I seem to remember, Glen Ingram, who was part of that scene, wrote
a light-hearted article about twitching that I think may have actually
mentioned the word chook. This would have been in one of the natural history
glossy mags of the time (around 1983?)- Australian Natural History or
something similar. Glen has been a previous contributor to Birding-aus so if
he is still on the list he may be able to enlighten you further.

Sean Dooley