birding-aus

Laughing gull

To: <>, birding aus <>
Subject: Laughing gull
From: Tim Jones <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:31:50 +0000
Allan,

Yes, theoretically the black sub-terminal band should extend all the way to the
outer tail feathers. For some reason this is light grey on the outer tail
feathers instead of black, but on Franklin's I think the outer tail feathers
would probably be competely white. I agree that on the sum of the features this
would have to be a late first winter Laughing: flat forehead, length of bill
which exceeds the distance from the start of the feathering on the bill to the
eye, grey-brown gorget band, bill long with a slightly drooping look, hint of a
semi-collar formed from the white throat upwards and behind the ear-coverts,
long wings and legs. When I first saw this picture I immediately thought
'that's a Laughing Gull' without even checking all the features - it's just got
the right jizz - not compact and dainty enough for a Franklin's. I've seen many
of both in North America - and both in the UK as vagrants. The only thing that
I think could throw this out would be if, somehow, the photos have been
electronically compressed vertically or elongated horizontally.

Cheers

Tim> From: > To: > Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:34:57 +1000> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Laughing gull> >
Greetings,> I have posted Jun's pictures of this gull to my blog
http://alanswildlife.blogspot.com/> Someone eliminated Franklin's Gull on the
absence of white outer tail feathers. Have a look at picture two. I still feel
that it is a Laughing gull because of the sum of the features.> > Regards,>
Alan Gillanders> > Alan's Wildlife Tours> 2 Mather Road> Yungaburra 4884>
www.alanswildlifetours.com.au> Phone 07 4095 3784> Int. + 61 7 4095 3784>
Mobile 0408 953 786> > Alan's blog http://alanswildlife.blogspot.com/>